Monday, October 19, 2009

Why Flying Children?

Art departments in publishing firms must follow trends.

Consider the following:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back, by Claire Fontaine

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back


And
The Middle Place, by Kelly Corrigan

The Middle Place


And
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

The Hour I First Believed (P.S.)

I guess the Madison Avenue big wigs (who certainly know more than I) sit around a big, expensive table and answer questions like, “Hey, I’ve got a great idea – I think pictures of children floating in air will really convey the essence of this book – whaddya think?"

6 comments:

debilyn said...

Too funny! They really DO use that a lot in publishing, don't they?

Jeanette said...

This reminds me of a website or blog post I saw once that showed the same cover image on multiple books. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

Jeanette said...

Okay, since I have nothing better to do I searched around and found the link to share with you.
http://www.libraryjobpostings.org/reusable-covers.htm

Mrs. Melissa said...

I just finished Wally Lamb's new paperback and still don't understand what the cover has to do with the book. Or why they changed the paperback cover from the cover of the hardback? That cover made more sense to me....

Noelle Buttry said...

Having read Comeback (& really liked it), that one fits the cover. I guess the Middle Place sorta does. Haven't read Wally Lamb's...do you recommend it?

Caroline Starr Rose said...

How funny!